Wednesday 30 January 2013

Getting ready to race in the 2013 World Championships!


In just over a year I will be preparing for the big one, Sochi Olympics 2014. Despite being more than 365 days away this thought is never far from my mind. Every World Cup is a stepping stone closer, every training run an opportunity to tweak the equipment, technique and mindset needed to be a contender next February.


Right now I am at home resting for the second biggest milestone in this 4 year Olympic cycle. Next week the World Champs start in Schladming, Austria. Only every 2 years the Worlds is always a big event but this year being in front of a huge fanatical, almost ski obsessed Austrian crowd will possibly be the biggest and best World Ski Champs ever.

I am excited to have qualified, to have proved I deserve to be amongst the best. It is always tough to play out a comeback year. To know what to expect and when to just let  it happen. It is challenging to be patient and let yourself ease back into things. In the words of Queen, every ski racer I know ‘wants it all’ and ‘wants it now.’ I know what I can achieve - in training days when the weather is consistent I have been up there with the best, even having the fastest split. In the races the weather has played havoc with fairness and the early runners have been grasping their opportunities well. Starting outside the top 30 I haven’t had the best luck but I have fought and battled (St Anton anyone?) my way down and notched up a few top 30s. Sometimes, considering my leg and my rustiness, this makes me content. But most times I know what I can do and I know I can be faster.

The World Champs is slightly unique in that the slopes are all new. There have only been a few races in the past so no one will be able to rely heavily on past experiences. It is more of a level playing field. The terrain should favour the new Chemmy style (I have been fast on flats like I never was before - am sure this is because of learning to skate on a 10 inch blade and the feeling and sensitiveness that taught me!)

Normally I try and treat every race the same. This time I am adopting a new tactic having been at home resting, getting the body in ‘tip top’ shape. I want to peak at the right time, I want to push my body next week to new levels, in essence I want to get back my old confidence and make right turns as strong and fast as my left!

Thank you all for your continued support.

xx Chemmy

P.S I am now on Instagram having finally got with the ages! As followers of the fluffy white stuff my office is mostly always some epic mountain scenery which I will try and share with you. To find me (as with on twitter) search ChemmySki

No comments:

Post a Comment